Friday, January 23, 2015

Less is More and Thoughts on Bartleby the Scrivener


Previously, I wrote a whole page of pure shit about Bartleby the Scrivener.  After letting it sit for 2 weeks, I came back to edit and realized that less is more, something my mom has been telling me about writing for as long as I can remember (something a professor/friend reinforced during my time in college, as well), so I deleted it. Below is what I really think.

At first, the story finished with a depressing mood. Looking back on it now, the plot was so utterly boring, on most occasions, I found myself disinterested in reading the entire story; though, I finished it out of stubbornness, an appreciation for Melville’s writing, and the few pages it contained. As a matter of fact, the mystery of Bartleby’s origin was the most interesting piece to the puzzle—not his passive defiance or Melville’s struggle to solve the predicament. What kept me so enthralled was the writing itself. Melville, as most great writers do, wrote the story in such a fashion that the lines between reality and fiction were blurred, despite the predominantly boring storyline. There is a fine line between a good story and good writing. A good story contains a strong plot, interesting characters, character development, and a number of other literary techniques. However, good writing demonstrates one’s mastery of language and the ability to manipulate it, crafting a story that gives the impression of reality, yet, it is merely strokes on paper.

While Melville’s story is not what I would call great, his writing is. The manner in which he detailed his three scribes, prior to Bartleby’s arrival, down the very the last scene left no stone unturned. The reader is left with no option but to sympathize with the characters, which coerces one to an internal agreement with the individual’s reasoning and perspectives. This is not a story I will be going back to anytime soon, nor is it one I will soon forget. 


B.-

No comments:

Post a Comment